Friday, December 13, 2013

A Nice Surprise in the Catechism

I just finished reading through all of the latest edition of the Catechism. I've been at it since the end of last June! There were many Post-Its stuck to the pages I didn't agree with, but the last section on prayer was worth all the time it took to get there. I especially liked the 6 pages on "The Battle of Prayer." It was so good that the authors of this book recognize the struggle many of us have in moving beyond ritualistic words. "We pray as we live, because we live as we pray." What a deep mystery it is to find our efforts thwarted by distraction, dryness, lack of faith, and carelessness.

Now that I am in the Ignatian Volunteer Corps, I'm learning new ways to pray with the Jesuit community. It's really exhilarating to discover so many important things to try out in my thinking. The glories of getting older - and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?